The door is one of the main highlights of the home. And it will turn worn out at some point no matter how perfectly you upkeep it.
Trying something new by changing its appearance to look like a window will help to bring a new vibe. Now the question is, exactly how to make a door look like a window?
It’s simple if you own a glass door insert and do some cutting on the wood door with a jig saw to attach it. And to end it, paint or insert decorative stuff to finish nicely.
To know the procedure in detail, you need to read this guide till the end. Let Me Show You How It’s Been Done!
Table of Contents
Steps To Make A Door Look Like A Window
Once you have set your mind and planned the design, it’s time to work on the home project. Let me show you exactly how to make a door look like it has a window.
- Jig saw.
- Sand block and sandpaper.
- Glass door insert.
- Measuring tape.
- Electrical power drill.
- Miter saw
- Masking tape.
- Wood glue.
- Brush or roller.
- Nuts, bolts, and small extras.
Step 1: Remove The Door.
- Open the door at an angle so that you can see the hinges.
- Take a screwdriver or power drill to remove the screws from the hinges which hold the door.
- Close the door and lift it in an upward motion.
- Remove the door and place it on the table where you’re going to cut the mid-section.
Step 2: Cut The Door.
- Grab the glass door insert which is strong and reliable like the ODL Entry Door Glass Insert and measure it from the width and height using a measuring tape.
- Based on the glass door insert size (WxH), mark the door with a pencil.
- Use black tape to create the line.
- Take the jig saw and run it on the door in a straight line. Be sure to follow the tape corners to mark the door nicely.
- Use the miter saw to mark the area smoothly.
- After cutting it, remove the inner wood part using strength.
- Take out the black tape.
- Sand the edges and depth to make it look flat.
- Place the glass door insert on the table to check if the size is matching the door or not.
Step 3: Paint The Frame & Trim.
- Take a tiny brush and dip it into the primer.
- Apply the brush to the door frame. Dry it naturally for 3 to 6 hours.
- Then, grab the paint (matching the side panel of your door) and dip the roller.
- Use the roller to the frame to paint it well. Dry it for a day.
Step 4: Install The Glass.
- Place the glass door insert.
- Insert the door frame over it.
- Align the edges and locate the holes.
- Drill the holes and insert the screws.
- Fit them using a screwdriver or power drill.
- Check if the glass door inserts come out or not.
Step 5: Attach The Door Back To Its Place.
- Hold the door and align the pin with securing the door on the hinges.
- Insert the nuts and attach them using a power drill.
- Swing the door to see if it needs adjustment or looks fine.
Using The Fake Window Panel Grinds On Glass Door.
In case, you have a glass door that is plain and want to make it look like a window then use the DIY window grinds technique. It’ll need a wood grind kit and measuring tape.
- Start by measuring the glass door.
- Add boxes like window trim using the pencil on the door.
- Use the wood grind kit and cut it (based on the size).
- Peel the grind pieces.
- Insert them horizontally and vertically.
- Press them slightly to stick on the glass door.
- Add a curtain to make the door look like a window.
A time-consuming home project like this one will require around 2 days to complete in the nicest way (due to the paint). I hope you know how to make a door look like a window after reading this guide.
You can change the color of the glass door insert based on your home’s current theme and try using decorative items.
Be sure to try the above method when you need to and don’t worry it’ll result in good if you follow the procedure correctly.
This is Adam Sullivan, the author of tchardwaretools.com! I started my days as a mobile carpenter to become a full-time shop owner, and have been living my professional life for more than 8 years now.
Here I want to share my thoughts, experiences, and ideas through this platform. Stay Tuned!